2021 Board Recruitment
The Association of Leaders in Volunteer Engagement is pleased to announce
the call for nominations for the 2021 Board of Directors. View our informational webinar held September 25 here.Click here to nominate a candidate or apply
Benefits to Applicants
Board service is a chance to grow personally and professionally, to develop skills, gain unique experience, and make lasting connections with a team of other passionate and motivated professionals throughout the country. Becoming a Board member is an opportunity to share your professional knowledge, expertise, and passion to help AL!VE craft and forge the future of the profession.
Diverse Perspectives Sought
2020 has taught us that it is essential to connect with one another, share what we have in common, and to learn from our differences. AL!VE’s mission is to enhance and sustain the spirit of volunteering in America by fostering collaboration and networking, promoting professional development, and providing advocacy for leaders in community engagement.
We acknowledge that our Board roster is not currently as diverse as our membership and we are proactively making efforts to change that. While we welcome all who are passionate about supporting our mission to apply, after identifying gaps in perspectives and skill sets on our current Board, we are actively seeking candidates of diverse experiences, skills, and backgrounds including:
It is our hope that our Board will be as diverse as the communities our members serve, with the perspective, skills, and experience needed to enact our strategic plan and advance our mission.
- Diverse geographic representation overall, including residents of the Great Lakes (MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH) and the Atlantic (ME, VT, NH, MA, PA, NJ, NY, MD, VA, WV, RI, CT, DC, DE) regions.
- Black, indigenous, and people of color (who do not see themselves reflected on our Board YET).
- People who identify as male, intersex, transgender, two-spirit, and non-binary.
- People who identify as Homosexual, Bisexual, Asexual, Lesbian, Gay, Pansexual, Queer, and others.
- Members of Generation Z.
- People passionate about volunteer motivation and engagement with or without degrees, students with an eye on a career in organizing volunteers, and those who are retired and want to return to the work.
- People with differing abilities, be those physical, emotional, or neuro-diverse.
- People with experience supporting neighboring, grass-roots and community organizing, and informal forms of volunteering.
- People with skills in (or those wishing to develop, grow or expand their skills in) financial management, HR, politics, advocacy, fundraising, grant writing, marketing and graphic design.
About Board Service
Here are some of the main functions of an AL!VE Board member:
ALIVE’s Board of Directors is an active board that makes a difference for our profession. Those who are elected to the Board will serve a 3-year term (2021-2024), with the opportunity to serve up to two terms (six years total). For CVAs, volunteering on the Board for AL!VE is a great way to earn PDUs for your renewal every five years
- Oversee the direction and management of the association
- Lead specific projects
- Serve on committees
- Recruit new members
- Ensure a solid, balanced budget
- Contribute to the association's financial success
- Represent AL!VE members at conferences and regional meetings
The board meets on a monthly basis using web-based technology. The volunteer commitment is an average of 15 hours per month. Individuals may nominate themselves or a colleague. Board service is a chance to grow personally and professionally, to develop skills, gain unique experience and make lasting connections with a team of other passionate and motivated professionals throughout the country. View the position description here.
Process and TimelineIndividuals may nominate themselves or a colleague. The nomination process is open now through September 30, 2020. The schedule for nominations and elections is as follows:
- Nomination Opens: August 31, 2020
- Informational Webinar: September 25, 2020
- Nomination Deadline: September 30, 2020
- Candidate Phone Interviews: October 1 - 19, 2020
- Slate Announced: October 26, 2020
- Voting Opens: October 26, 2020
- Voting Closes: November 12, 2020
- New Board and Officers Notified of Results: November 13-17, 2020
- Election Results Announced at AL!VE Annual Meeting: Wednesday, November 18, 2020
- New Board Orientation: Tentatively December 9, 2020
- Board Term Begins: Monday, January 1, 2021
We welcome and encourage all with the perspectives, skills, and experience needed to enact our strategic plan and advance our mission to apply. This is an exciting time to join the leadership of ALIVE and help us map our ambitious future. Please direct any additional inquires to the Nominating Committee.
Nominations are now closed for 2021 Board Applicants. Results of the elections will be held at our Annual Meeting.