2023 Board Recruitment
AL!VE Board of Director nominations closed September 15, 2022. The slate will be announced October 27 and AL!VE members will receive an electronic ballot. Newly elected board members will be announced at our Annual Meeting, November 30. Click here to register for our annual meeting. See below for our timeline.Why be a board member?
Board service is a chance to grow personally and professionally, to develop skills, gain unique experience, and make lasting connections with a team of other passionate and motivated professionals throughout the country. Becoming a Board member is an opportunity to share your professional knowledge, expertise, and passion to help AL!VE craft and forge the future of the profession. Apply here.
Diverse Perspectives Sought
AL!VE is embarking on a journey to be a more equitable and inclusive organization through our AL!VE Academy offerings, DEAI statement, (Diversity, Equity, Accessibility & Inclusion) newsletter articles, resource page, and intentional recruitment and support of committee and board members. Our recent board survey demonstrates that while we are making progress (view our year one diversity dashboard), our Board is not yet as diverse as the communities our members serve, and we are continuing this work. We welcome all who are passionate about supporting our mission to apply, and after identifying gaps in perspectives and skill sets on our current board, we are actively seeking candidates of diverse experiences, skills, and backgrounds not represented on the current board including, but not limited to:
It is our hope that our Board will be as diverse as the communities our members serve, with the perspective, skills, and experience needed to enact our strategic plan and advance our mission. If you are passionate about AL!VE’s mission, are willing to make a time commitment of 10-15 hours per month, and have skills and perspectives that would benefit our work (including those that might not have been mentioned), we encourage you to apply!About Board Service
- People with skills in (or those wishing to develop, grow or expand their skills in)
- HR (Leading AL!VE’s internal volunteer engagement)
- Grant Writing
- Marketing & Communications
- Program Development
- Nonprofit Management
- Administering the Service Enterprise Initiative
- Diverse geographic representation, including residents of the
- Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii & Alaska
- Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico
- Upper West
- Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota
- South Central
- Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas
- Members of Generation Z.
- Black, Indigenous, and people of color (who do not see themselves reflected on our Board YET).
- People who identify as Male, Intersex, Transgender, Two-spirit, and Non-binary.
- People who identify as Homosexual, Bisexual, Asexual, Lesbian, Gay, Pansexual, Queer, and others.
- People without degrees and those who are retired.
- People with diverse religious backgrounds.
- People with differing abilities, be those physical, emotional, or neuro-diverse.
- People with experience supporting neighboring, grass-roots and community organizing, and informal forms of volunteering.
Here are some of the main functions of an AL!VE Board member:
AL!VE’s Board of Directors is an active board that makes a difference for our profession. Those who are elected to the Board will serve a 3-year term (2023-2025), with the opportunity to serve up to two terms (six years total).
- Oversee the direction and management of the association
- Lead specific projects
- Serve on committees
- Recruit new members
- Ensure a solid, balanced budget
- Contribute to the association's financial success
- Represent AL!VE members at conferences and regional meetings
The board meets on a monthly basis using web-based technology. The volunteer commitment is two to three hours a week, or an average of ten to fifteen hours a month, including required attendance at board meetings and leadership on a committee or special project. Individuals may nominate themselves or a colleague. Board service is a chance to grow personally and professionally, to develop skills, gain unique experience and make lasting connections with a team of other passionate and motivated professionals throughout the country. View the Board Position Description here.
Process and TimelineIndividuals may nominate themselves or a colleague. The nomination process is open now through September 15, 2022. The schedule for nominations and elections is as follows:
- Nomination Opens: August 19, 2022
- Informational Webinar: August 23rd 2pm Eastern
- Nomination Deadline: September 15, 2022
- Candidate Phone Interviews: September 22 - October 13, 2022
- Slate Announced: October 27, 2022
- Voting Opens: October 27, 2022
- Voting Closes: November 11, 2022
- New Board and Officers Notified of Results: November 15-29, 2022
- Election Results Announced at AL!VE Annual Meeting: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 Register here
- New Board Orientation: TBD December 2022
- Board Term Begins: Monday, January 1, 2023
We welcome and encourage all with the perspectives, skills, and experience needed to enact our strategic plan and advance our mission to apply. This is an exciting time to join the leadership of AL!VE and help us map our ambitious future. Please direct any additional inquires to the Nominating Committee.